Parent Resources

Parents often have questions about their student's academic program and progress. This guide includes answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. We hope it will be helpful to you as you support your son or daughter attending UWW Rock County.

College is a time of tremendous growth for students. At UWW Rock County, student responsibility is an important value. We treat your children as adults. This can be challenging for them, for you and for us, at times. We don't rush in to solve students' problems, but we do give them appropriate support as they develop skills necessary to becoming effective problem-solvers. We have high expectations for our students. We also honor your investment in your student's educational success at UWW Rock County. Your support is appropriate and necessary for that success. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to call the Solution Center any time at 608-758-6565 ext. 200.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I receive a copy of my student's grades?

Student grades are not mailed. A student can check his or her grades through the online PRISM system. FERPA prohibits sharing academic information without a student's consent. Student's can sign the UW Colleges Student Release of Information Form and bring it to the Solution Center in Hyatt Smith Hall to allow someone else access to their student information.

Where can my student get information?

Encourage your student to read their UWW Rock County e-mail as much important information is sent through the campus e-mail system. We hope your student will ask questions of everyone on campus. People resources abound at UWW Rock County. The Solution Center, located in Hyatt Smith Hall, is always a good place to turn. Your student will also get a free student planner from the UWW Rock County Bookstore that has a handbook section in the front with valuable information. The UW Colleges Catalog, which lists all courses available, academic policies and information about each campus is also available in the Solution Center. The student planner, available in the bookstore, also has a handbook section with campus information and handy tips for student success. 

Am I a "helicopter parent'?

This is a term college administrators around the country have been using to describe baby-boomer parents who are overly involved and who 'hover" over their college students. Some of these parents even write their students' papers, wake them up for class, complain to professors about their child's grades and even pick their kid's classes for him or her. Parents need to determine an appropriate level of involvement that doesn't foster dependency, which will prevent their child from becoming a responsible, self-sufficient adult.

How can I help my child transition to college life?

It's important for students living at home to get involved in campus activities. They may get more out of the college experience if they study on campus, join a club, get involved in student government or play sports. This will help them to meet new friends, get to know the staff and faculty and take advantage of opportunities for leadership roles at UWW Rock County and at other colleges should they transfer. Encourage your child to get involved and understand his or her schedule may be varied with these new roles.

What if my student is experiencing personal or family difficulties that are affecting his/her academic performance?

Unfortunately, personal difficulties happen. If your student is having personal or family problems, please urge him or her to contact of the Solution Center at 608-758-6565, ext. 200.
Professional mental health counseling is available at no cost to students through the Solution Center.

What do you do for students with physical or learning disabilities?

Accommodations vary greatly with the needs of each student, but include extended time for tests, note taking, seating adjustments, room changes and tutoring. The campus contact for student accessibility services in the Solution Center can discuss options and plans. Call 608-758-6565, ext. 200 to make an appointment.

If I have questions or concerns about my student's academic program or progress, is it appropriate to call the college?

Yes, it is appropriate. We do believe that your most important source of information about your student's progress is your student and we hope that you will foster open and honest communication with your son or daughter about his/her academic work. If you would like to talk with someone at the college about your student's academic situation, feel free to call the student's advisor or the Solution Center office. Again, the information we can provide without the student's written permission is limited, but if you have concerns we may contact the student and/or instructors to see if additional assistance or advising may be needed.

What is my student expected to take the first semester?

The normal course load for most full-time students is 15 credits. Typically, students eligible to be covered under their parents' health insurance policies must take at least 12 credits to be considered a full-time student. 

A student's first semester typically consists of 12 to 15 credits, usually from two or three general education courses plus two or three courses from an academic area of interest. Your student may also be enrolled in a LEC 100 Freshman Seminar course designed to help new students adjust to academic and social changes from high school.

Will my student's credits transfer?

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at Rock County is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the same agency that accredits most American universities. Courses and credits transfer 
easily to UW System campuses as well as to other private and public colleges and universities, with the exception of several remedial courses, which do not carry degree credit. Your student will want to check the online University of Wisconsin Transfer Information System or ask his or her advisor to see just what program requirements will be met by specific transfer courses.

What are the requirements to transfer to a four-year institution?

Requirements for transfer may vary slightly from one university to another, but most will require a minimum of 12 transferable credits and a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.

Your student may want to look into the Guaranteed Transfer Program. A student who begins his or her education as a freshman at UWW Rock County can be guaranteed admission to any four-year University of Wisconsin campus by participating in this program. After fulfilling certain credit and grade point requirements (60 credits and a 2.0 GPA for most campuses), the student will transfer as a junior with the same rights and privileges as those who begin their education at the four-year institutions.

What are UWW Rock County’s graduation requirements for an associate degree?

Earning the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree requires completing a minimum of 60 credits. Students who earn the degree will automatically meet the general education requirements at University of Wisconsin institutions and will be admitted as juniors when they transfer.

The degree requires completion of courses in English composition and math as well as course in the breadth categories of fine arts, humanities, natural sciences and social science.
Your student should rely on the UW Colleges Catalog for specific major requirements, course prerequisites and other academic policies.

Who will help my student decide on classes and plan his/her schedule?

During the summer, your student will have the opportunity to register for classes with an advisor. Your student will sign up for an advising session when he or she is on campus for the Student Orientation and Academic Registration (SOAR).

Academic planning for the first semester and beyond is a process between the student and the advisor. Both the advisor and the student should expect and have responsibility for creating a productive advising relationship.

Who is responsible for ensuring that my student attends class?

Students must take responsibility for their own academic success and the consequences of their performance. Students cannot learn if they are not in class. Attendance policies are set individually by the instructors.

If my student experiences academic difficulty where should he or she turn?

We strongly encourage students to talk with their instructors outside of class if they are experiencing difficulty. This usually requires a change in thinking and habit, since many students did not seek out their teachers in high school. Faculty members are their best resource. We also urge students to contact their advisor for support and counsel. Most academic problems can be resolved if students seek help in a timely way.

The Learning Support Center (LSC) on campus offers free tutoring to any student and can help with other issues such as time management and tips for working with faculty. Some students are also eligible for the federally funded TRIO program, which provides additional academic support to the students served by the program.

My student never had to study in high school and I worry that he or she hasn’t developed college-level study skills. Any advice?

Your student may make the necessary adjustments with no difficulty, but if you sense that is not the case, encourage your student to talk with his or her advisor.

Realistic expectations help. We expect students to study at least three hours outside of class for every hour they are in class.

Will someone contact me if my student is experiencing academic difficulty?

No, we will contact your student directly. All students admitted to UWW Rock County have the ability to succeed and to graduate. When students begin to struggle academically, the reasons are as diverse as the students. We do everything we can to help students identify problems, accept responsibility and subsequently solve their problems. Resolving their own difficulties is an important skill for students to develop as they grow into adulthood. However, if you have a particular concern about your student, we do welcome your call.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Unless we have written permission from the student, only a limited amount of information can be released to the parents.